Sunday, February 5, 2012

Turkey Burger

I started making turkey burgers about 3 years ago to help cut back on eating so much ground beef. I saw a photo in one of my food magazines that looked so delish and decided to give it a try. I think the trick to making turkey burgers taste better than beef burgers is what you add to the meat. When you cook a hamburger you don't have to add anything. I think the more you add to a hamburger the more it taste like a meat loaf burger. However turkey can be very dry so you need to add a little something to make it juicy.

Ingredients
1 package of ground turkey
1/4 of an onion finely grated
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
dash of salt and pepper
2tbs olive oil divided
1 onion sliced
Sharp cheddar cheese
5 Brioche Rolls

Directions

Put Turkey, finely grated onion, cumin, chili powder and a dash of salt and pepper in a bowl. Using your hands mix it all together well because there is nothing worse then to bite into a big bite of cumin or chili powder. Then form them into 1inch patties that are a little larger then the bun.  The ground turkey has a little bit of fat in it so it will shrink a little. Lightly salt and pepper each patty. Place on a piping hot non stick pan with a little bit of olive oil. Cook for at least 5 min on each side. While you are cooking the burgers in a medium sized skillet brown onion slices in 1 tbs of olive oil. Cook them until brown and tender. Once you flip the burger add enough slices of cheddar cheese to give it a good covering. Cook 5 minutes on this side and then it is ready to serve. I like mine on a toasted brioche roll. I add the onions on top and mayo and mustard on my bun. That is it. Very simple and absolutely delish. I make THE best hamburgers but for some reason my husband loves these even better. Try them and let me know what you think.

13 comments:

  1. So flavorful and mouthwatering! Much better than the store bought one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice recipe. I'll make it for my daughters, soon. Kiss.

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to become Foodie Friends with you. Wonderful photos on your blog and great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea! I have a surprise for you on my blog! It's awaiting to be claimed :) Hope to see you there! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! This looks so simple and tasty! (especially with that gooey cheese...mmm).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like adding curry powder to my homemade burger. Looking delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, homemade burgers are a wonderful thing. Looks glorious and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum! I totally agree, turkey burgers can be kinda blah... or amazing depending on what you add to them. These look great! I loooove a good turkey burger :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea this looks absolutely delicious ! Perfect comfort food! Can't wait to try this, but I will have to miss out the chilli since i get allergic reaction from it! :-( Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these as sliders and put them on Orowheat potato dinner rolls. My husband and 7- and 6-year old boys loved them. Thanks for spicing up our meals!

    ReplyDelete