Monday, February 27, 2012

French Toast

I never liked French toast until my husband made his for me.I me. There is something about eggs and syrup together that makes me gag. Everyone who eats french toast acts like it is the best thing they ever ate so I tried it over and over and without a doubt the egg taste was there. But the way my husband makes it you don't taste the egg and it is sweet with a slight crunchy crust. Ben is not much of a cook but the few things he does make are VERY good and this is one of them. I'm not exactly sure how he came up with this recipe but I remember when he decided he could make this just right and to this day if we are out of vanilla extract he wont even bother making it.  

Ingredients
3 eggs
6 pieces of Italian bread
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbs butter

Directions
Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Once the griddle is piping hot spread 1 tablespoon of butter all over. This is a essential to getting that nice butter crust on top. Dip each piece of bread in the mixture on both sides but don't over soak. What makes his french toast so special is the egg is minimal. Place the each piece on the griddle and cook both sides until golden brown.

He cooks the bacon on the griddle first which I think adds another great flavor to each piece of bread. Give it a try and let me know what you think. If you have any french toast tips I would love to know them. 

9 comments:

  1. I am french toast picky too but this looks like the way I like it! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. French toast is quite possibly my favorie breakfast food... looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love French toast; next time I'll have to try cooking the bacon in the griddle first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm picky about egg toast too; I have to make it myself or I won't eat it. I'm not an egg fan so if it tastes too "eggy" I just give it to my dad. I like to make egg toast with Pepperidge's Farm Cinnamon raisin bread which gives it more flavor. One time I made a nutella sandwich, dipped it into the egg mix, and made a nutella egg toast sandwich...it was Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love French Toast, it's definitely the best breakfast food! I was actually thinking about doing a french toast post here in a few days, I'll share the link whenever I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a fan of French toast - I like the German version, but not as an everyday breakfast food. Mostly b/c of what you describe. I have never tried it w/ vanilla, which must be the key to happiness. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put vanilla in my French toast, too! Although I do love it when you soak the bread, I can see where having just the outside crisp would be equally delicious. Plus you don't have the "eggy" taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this recipe and served it to my mother, sister, and nephew and they gobbled it up! So did I!

    ReplyDelete