Thursday, February 13, 2014

Broccoli Cheese Soup



My family loves soup and one of our favorites is Broccoli Cheddar. I have seen several recipes on the food network and on pinterest. After reading many and trying some I came up with a nice version that my family just loved. It is perfect for a cold winter day like today. 

This soup is not a low calorie soup but I saw it done with half and half and I was able to make it with whole milk which made it less fattening but still creamy. Let me know what you think. 

Ingredients

5 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 of a medium onion chopped
1 1/2 cup broccoli floretts 
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups whole milk
6 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a large pot add 1 tablespoon of butter and chopped onion. Cook about 1 min until onion softened. Add 4 tablespoon butter and once melted add flour. whisk and cook about 1-2 minutes until creamy and bubbling. Slowly add 2 cups chicken broth while whisking and then add milk. Simmer for about 10-20 minutes until nice and creamy. 

Add bite size broccoli florets and carrots along with one more cup of Chicken broth. Cook on low for about 20 minutes. Add nutmeg and cheese. cook until cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. I emulsify one small section to cream just a bit of the broccoli but that's eat because my kids love the broccoli the most. 

This serves 4 but you can double it so you can have leftovers. 

2 comments:

  1. This seems so easy! I'm gonna try this and let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very easy and I hope you do try it because you would love it. Let me know what you think.

      Delete