Sunday, July 29, 2012

Popcorn with Nutritional Yeast Flakes


I found a new recipe for popcorn that I love more than my other popcorn post. I honestly didn't think it was possible and I really never believed I would find one that is actually good for you. I was at a friends house and she was making popcorn for her son's baseball game. She said it had nutritional yeast on it and I almost gagged just at the name alone. I smelled the these flakes from the a bag and thought GROSS. But I am always willing to try just about anything. I took a couple of bites and all of the sudden I couldn't stop eating it. She was nice enough to make me a bag and I took it home to my mom to try. I knew I could never tell my mom what was on it or she would never try it. After she ate 3 handfuls and told me it was good I then divulged the ingredients to her. She loved it and bought us a popcorn maker so we could make it whenever we wanted some.

This recipe given to me by Cindy Sawyer also founder of Towelocs If you have never heard of these you should click on the link and check out this great product. They make life easier for all you moms out there who are tired of picking up the towel after your kids pull them off the ring to dry their hands.

Recipe
2/3 cup of popcorn kernels
2-3 tablespoon grape seed oil
1-2 teaspoons of salt
3 tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast Flakes

Directions
I pop my kernels in an air popper but if you don't have one you can put the kernels in a brown paper lunch bag and pop them in the microwave for about 4 minutes (Don't add oil).

Once the kernels are popped add a little oil, a little flakes and salt. Mix well and then continues to add a little more until it is all covered well and taste. You might want to add more or leave some out depending on your taste.

The best part is this popcorn is quite good for you. Nutritional Yeast has vitamin B12 and used by many Vegans as a substitute for cheese. If you don't like cheese flavored popcorn you probably won't like this. I tried it on many of my family members and the only ones that weren't impressed was those who don't like cheesy popcorn. Give it a try and I am warning you now it is hard to stop eating it.




11 comments:

  1. Yum! I love popcorn and this recipe has added flair! Thanks so much for coming by The Best of this Life, I'm following back xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Nutritional Yeast Flakes -- did you get them at the grocery store or a health food store. I am going to try this! Thanks! Catherine www.praycookblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, I had never heard of them either. I got them at whole foods in the bulk section. You will love it.

      Delete
    2. Braggs also makes a shakeable container that looks a lot like a shaker of parmesan cheese. I like it because you can buy it once and reuse it with the bulk product.

      Delete
  3. I bought a popcorn popper after I read all kinds of things about the toxins in microwave popcorn. I tried the butter flavor oil (my popper uses a little oil) but it doesn't add any flavor and I don't want to douse the popcorn in butter (well actually I do, but I won't). I am totally trying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the toxins I just don't like the way it taste. I usually pop mine in a pan but the machine is so much easier and better for ya. Let me know what you think.

      Delete
  4. When Andrea first told me what was in this i said "YUCK!" But let me tell you after eating it I fell in love! Its delicious and nutritional. Thanks Andrea for sharing and please do bring it to Sun Lakes again :)

    Lindsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big fan of cheesy popcorn but I was pleasantly surprised at how addicting this popcorn was. I have an air popper as well, but I hate how the butter "melts" the popcorn when I pour it on. This adds a lot of flavor without the guilt. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can spray some apple cider vinegar on the popcorn, then add the yeast flakes. Very yummy and zero fat!

    ReplyDelete