Monday, October 8, 2012

Blackberry Muffins

I can't say enough good things about my muffin cookbook by Williams Sonoma. I think I have made about 4 different muffins in that cookbook and they have all turned out to be delish. I had been waiting for the summer to try the blackberry muffin. I used fresh blackberries but you can use frozen. 

I made these for my family this summer. As I've said over and over having fresh blackberries outside our house for the month of August was fabulous. These muffins had a nice crispy crunch topping and were liked by all ages. Nothing like waking up to fresh muffins and coffee with my cousins, aunt, uncle, mother and kids. Try them and let me know what you think.






Ingredients

For the topping
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped

For the muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg beaten
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups fresh blackberries or 2 1/2 cups frozen
unsweetened blackberries unthawed

Directions
Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 12 standard muffin pan with butter or nonstick spray.

To make the topping stir together the sugar, flour, and zest in a small bowl. Stir in the melted butter until the mixture is crumbly. Add the pecans and stir to combine. Set aside.

To make muffins, in a bowl, stir together in the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, zest, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the egg, melted butter, and buttermilk. stir just until evenly moistened. the batter will be slightly lumpy. Sprinkle with the blackberries and gently fold in with a large rubber spatula just until evenly distributed, no more that a few strokes. Take care not to break up the fruit. Do not over mix.

Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it to a bit above the rim of the cup. Top each muffin with the topping, dividing it evenly (the sugar will melt and produce a glaze effect).

Bake until golden, dry, and springy to the touch, 25-30 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Unmold the muffins. Serve them warm or at room temperature, with butter.



8 comments:

  1. These look delish! I love muffins! www.grandbaby-cakes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious muffin looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the WS muffin cookbook as well. Every muffin I've made from that book is delish! I haven't made the black berry muffins yet, they look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These blackberry muffins looking amazing! I cant wait to try them! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, aren't blackberries the best! I love cooking with buttermilk too keeps everything moist. I can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! These look great!

    ReplyDelete