Monday, October 29, 2012

Sweet Tea II


I had created a sweet tea recipe on this blog a few months ago but recently found another recipe on pinterest and was intrigued with this interesting ingredient (baking soda). I had to try and it and was amazed at how great it tasted. We have been buying Gold Peak's sweet tea every time it was on sale but it goes fast and it is still quite expensive. This recipe I found from The Budget Savvy Diva tasted just like it and cost me nickles to make. The crazy ingredient was 1/8 tsp of baking soda to cut the bitterness. I have to say it does exactly that. First I made it just as the way she wrote the recipe and then I cut the sugar down because I don't like it super sweet. I haven't bought store bought tea since. Give it a try and let me know what you think.




Ingredients

2 cups of boiling water
6 tea bags
3/4 cup of sugar
1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
6 cups cold water

Directions

Boil 2 cups of water. Turn off heat and stir in sugar to dissolve. place tea bags in water and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Pull out bags and add baking soda and stir. Add 6 cups cold water and pour into a pitcher. Serve over ice immediately or chill in refrigerator.

My family can't even tell the difference between it and the store bought version. So happy to be saving the money.

7 comments:

  1. We drink a lot of sweet tea, too, but as you said, it gets spendy. This sounds great, especially when it comes highly recommended. ;) I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. Let me know if you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Wow,
    I love sweet tea and had NO IDEA that baking soda would get rid of that slight bitter taste. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Gold Peak Sweet Tea, but it's hard to get somtimes. Here's what I do: Boil a gallon of water, add ten oolong tea bags and one cup sugar. Stir and let it steep 6-8 minutes. Gently remove tea bags without squeezing them dry. Add 2 tsp Realemon if you like lemon (I don't). Let it cool, pour tea into container and put it in the fridge. It tastes the same. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, this tastes perfect. I looked all over it tastes just like gold peak. I will save a fortune and keep a ton of plastic from the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad you are enjoying it and saving money.

      Delete
  5. Gold Peak tea is disgusting. It tastes fake. Sweet Tea is great, just not Gold Peak.

    I saw a recipe using baking soda once, so I went out and bought some as I did not have any at home. I noticed absolutely no flavor difference what so ever and it was a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete