Monday, April 23, 2012

Meatloaf


I saw a photo for meatloaf and decided I needed to make one over the weekend. I normally add chopped onion and green pepper to my meatloaf but chose to do it a little different this time. The one reason I don't like it is because it breaks up the meat and falls apart and the next thing you know you have little pieces of meat, next to the onion and the green pepper. So to keep the meat moist I grated half an onion instead of chopping it up.  I also decided to add barbeque sauce and that was a great new addition.

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion grated
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried oregano
1 egg whipped lightly
salt and pepper
1/2 cup of your favorite bbq sauce.

Directions

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees

In a large bowl add the first 7 ingredients and mix all together thoroughly with hands. I like mine to have a crust all over so I don't put mine in a bread pan. I either place on a large pan and form it into a loaf. cover meat loaf with half of the bbq sauce and bake at 400 for 30 minutes. Baste the meatloaf with the other half of bbq sauce and then bake for 20 minutes. Let it sit with foil on top for 5 to 10 minutes.



My favorite part is the end where it is crispy on the outside and moist in the inside. Try it and let me know what you think. The only bad part was that I didn't double the recipe and have enough for sandwiches the next day. I wasn't sure if my kids would like it and well they loved it and Brody said I always make the best beef.

9 comments:

  1. I love meatloaf and this looks amazing. Ditto on the crispy brown bits on the bottom. I saw a recipe for American cheese stuffed meatloaf with BBQ sauce on top. That may need to happen after I saw this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh...I'm a meatloaf lover, too. I had never made it with the ketchup and brown sugar topping until a couple years ago. didn't know what I was missing! Meatloaf is so great - you can make it different every time and it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love meatloaf, but I always forget to make it. Thank you for sharing yours! I love the barbecue sauce idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks PDG! I don't make meatloaf often, but you have inspired me. This is my first visit to your blog so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good. Love the barbeque sauce idea and will have to try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made meatloaf in forever, but my hubby loves it and I think it's time I make some :) I love the Parmesan and bbq sauce in the recipe, yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic. I've never ever tried meatloaf but then it's not something that many people I assume have tried here. Not one person I know has tried it but I'm going to have a go at this and see what it's like, it does look yummy and pefectly seasoned.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yum, your meatloaf looks so moist! great idea to grate the onion! and i've never had bbq sauce in meatloaf, definitely need to try this!

    ReplyDelete