Friday, March 16, 2012

Meatballs and Gravy


I usually only make meatballs  with spaghetti but I was having a major craving and decided to try making it with beef gravy over mashed potatoes. So I went for it and oh boy was I and the boys very happy with the results. To make it a little easier I rolled the meatballs earlier in the day so when it is time to cook They were all ready done. Every night I am usually cooking, helping with homework, getting Brody some toy he can't reach, and setting the table all at once. So I try to get prep work done before I have to go pick them up or even early in the morning.  You can double this recipe and freeze the extra meatballs uncooked and make them another day. I've done that and it is real nice.


Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 of yellow onion grated
3 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of olive oil

Gravy
1/2 can beef broth
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 onion finely chopped
2 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Directions

In a large bowl add ground beef, bread crumbs, 1 egg whipped lightly, dried oregano, yellow onion, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. With your hands mix all together well.

Roll into balls. I make mine small because my boys like them that way and I find they are more fun. You can refrigerate these and make them latter even the next day. 

Once you are ready add about 2 tbs of olive oil to large skillet. Once it is piping hot add balls but don't over crowd. Make them in batches and let them sear for 3 minutes then gently roll around by shaking the pan. I like to get each side with a little crust but I don't want them to cook all the way through. I want them cook in the gravy so they are tender in the inside but crisp on the outside.

Using tongs remove balls from pan and pour out fat. Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. add butter and once it is melted add flour. Cook flour into butter until bubbling and slightly browned. Then add beef broth and wine. after it start boiling add heavy cream. You don't have to add the cream and by adding it I'm sure it is more like Swedish meatballs but I've never made Swedish meatballs so I'm not sure. I add the cream because I like beef gravy to be creamy.

Add your meatballs back to the pan right into the gravy and let them simmer for 10 -12 minutes. I added mine to mashed potatoes but you can serve yours over egg noodles and even rice. All of it would be delish. Try them and let me know what you think.


12 comments:

  1. Yumm this sounds so goood. I forgot how simple it is to make meatballs; maybe I'll make some tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love comfort food like this! There is nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks like a delicious comfort meal! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meaaaaaaaatballs! I love meatballs! Your recipe looks great and satisfying. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to serve meatballs! Looks so comforting and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love meat balls but don't make them often enough. Love that glaze on your meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fan of the meatball! I normally make them with spaghetti and tom sauce but I love them with gravy. They used to serve meatballs at school when I was a little one, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These meatballs look just yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These really look delicious. I am new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I lovvvee meatballs. With mash and gravy instead of past? Fab idea :)

    http://teenytastytriumphs.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious. I might try and make it a bit more healthful by mashing roasted cauliflower instead of potatoes.

    ReplyDelete