Friday, February 17, 2012

Cilantro Slaw

I love cole slaw but I hate buying it already made because I need the cabbage to be crisp or it makes me gag. I found this recipe from one of my favorite blogs The Pioneer Woman. I tried it out at my super bowl party and everyone loved it. I was intrigued to make this because of the cilantro and Cayenne pepper. It is not spicy and the cilantro give it a nice fresh tang to it. The pepper just gives it a slight kick so don't worry if you don't like spicy food. 

Ingredients

  • 1/2 head green cabbage, sliced thin
  • 1/2 head purple cabbage, sliced thin
  • 2 1/2 cups whole milk, plus more for thinning
  • 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves, barely chopped
Directions

Combine the shredded cabbage in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Add more milk if you like the dressing a little thinner. Pour over the cabbage. Toss to combine.
Just before serving, toss in the cilantro. Can mix the slaw up to 2 hours before serving.

The only thing I would do different next time is to add dressing and let sit and then add more if needed because I felt it was a little to much dressing. I don't like soggy cole slaw. I will definitely make this again and again. Try it and let me know what you think. 

17 comments:

  1. I love the pioneer woman. This recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sound so delicious! Well done!
    Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love cilantro. Genius to include it in the slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM, this look so delicious! I can just imagine how crunchy and good it tastes! I would love to eat it with a pulled pork sandwich, :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice twist on a traditional fave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made a cilantro slaw with sugar in it, sounds delicious! I've never made one of the Pioneer woman's recipes, but this one sounds great! Thanks for sharing, happy to be your newest blog follower! =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful version of cole slaw! I hate the store-bought ones too because they almost always taste weird and stale...yuck! I'm so glad I found your blog, it's very pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. The title was so intriguing, I had to check this out! And what a wonderful recipe this is - I love cabbage, and so this is something new to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really does sound great. I love her recipes. I am new to your blog and Have spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really enjoy the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like it must pack such a flavor punch! Very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So refreshing with cilantro, and I like that you use both green and purple cabbage here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does look good and can't wait to try it. Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of adding Cilantro! I pretty much think cilantro makes everything better. Your blog is great! Thanks for stopping by ours. Mindy (one of the sisters at The Sisters Cafe)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious, love the addition of cilantro in slaw. It is one my favorite herb.

    ReplyDelete