Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Basic Tomato Sauce

I find that a basic Tomato sauce was one of the hardest recipes I learned and one of the easiest. I attempted to make this a few times and it was always so bland that I just bought the jar stuff for many years. I watched Martha Stewart many years ago when she did a 101 on Tomato sauce. She started the show explaining that if you stick with these basic ingredients making tomato sauce is very simple and delicious. It changed my way of cooking from then on. I am not against buying jar sauce. Here in NYC there are some very good choices. I just find homemade sauce taste fresher, you control the salt, it is almost as easy, and much cheaper.

Ingredients

2 cans of Hunts tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp of dried oregano
1 tsp of dried basil
1/2 of small onion diced 
1 tbs olive oil
1tsp of sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs of Parmesan cheese.

Directions

In large saute pan on medium high heat add olive oil and onion to pan. once onions are translucent add garlic and cook for about one minute. You don't want to burn garlic but you do want to be cooked before adding tomato sauce. 

Add Tomato sauce dried oregano and basil. If you have fresh herbs then go ahead and add them but don't add until almost finished cooking because they keep their fresh flavor. I always have dried herbs so this recipe calls for dried but sometimes I will have fresh parsley or basil and I add a little bit at the end. Add 1 tsp of salt and pepper, and sugar. The sugar helps cut the acidity. Let this simmer while you boil your water and then cook your pasta. While pasta is cooking add about 1 tbs of grated Parmesan. It gives it a nice extra flavor. 

Taste your sauce and add more salt if needed. 

You can use any pasta you want. My family loves penne so we use it the most. Try this recipe and let me know what you think. 

14 comments:

  1. Perfect sauce indeed!It tastes better than store bought ones and healthier (especially the sodium content)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful. I agree - much better to be able to control the salt. Good point! :) Hope you will visit my blog sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to buy the jarred stuff, but never again. Nothing against it, but just I really enjoy making tomato sauce. I use Giada's recipe which is easy and delicious.
    Your pasta dish looks yummy.. just my kind of meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out her recipe. thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Hi Andrea! I have a surprise for you on my blog! Hope to see you there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your blog! I just awarded you the Liebster :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sauce of sauces in my opinion. Having been brought up in an Italian/Australian family, our traditional Sunday dinner involved spaghetti with 'sugo' (which just means 'sauce'). I've spent years playing with it to get it just like Nonna used to make. My kids are now addicted and want more and more. Somewhere on my blog I have a recipe, I'll hunt it down for you and send it over.. but be warned... you can't rush a good 'sugo'! Thanks for the friend request by the way, am now a happy follower!! A. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see that recipe. thanks

      Delete
    2. just looked thru my archives, and references to 'sugo' but no recipe! :( I will now make it my mission to write it up :)

      Delete
    3. Back again! I knew I had it somewhere, I remember the photos. It was the base for a 'ragu' so didn't appear when I searched for 'sugo'. This is sugo Napolitana, a smooth, slow cooked, rich tomato base that pizzerie in Naples use as a pizza base sauce and basic pasta sauce. Pizzerie are measured by the quality of their 'sugo' and each one has a subtly unique version. To convert this ragu recipe into a sugo recipe, remove the turkey and add lots of fresh basil, half at the beginning and half just before serving. Enjoy!... http://firefoodie.blogspot.com/2009/12/leftover-turkey-lasagne.html

      Delete
  7. I know what you mean about the perfect sauce being so difficult but yet easy... thanks for sharing! It looks great, now to find that perfect meatball!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I have the perfect meatball. check it out and let me know what you think. http://questfordelish.blogspot.com/2011/11/spaghetti-with-meatballs.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andrea, This recipe looks amazing! Be sure to check out my blog tomorrow for a small surpise. Heidi

    www.heidisfoodforfun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete