Monday, December 5, 2011

Dark chocolate turtles

My husband surprised me with some of my favorite chocolates from someone I believe is the best chocolatier ever. Check out her website and if you are here in NYC you must experience her chocolates once. Kee's  One of my favorites is her dark chocolate turtles. So I was inspired to try and make it myself. It was slightly harder than I thought but they turned out to be quite delish. I think next time I will use mini muffin tins to help keep all the carmel from spreading all over the place. If you let the carmel sit too long it starts to get grainy and then you have to heat it all over again. The mini muffin tins would make this easier. Other than that these were not as hard as you would think and the result was worth it.

Ingredients
1/2 C heavy cream
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 tbs water
3/4 C. bittersweet chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli)
Must have a candy thermometer
1 C. (5 ounces) pecans

Directions
Line a baking sheet with silpat or if you are going to use muffin tin spray with non stick cooking spray. Put whole pecans or coarsely chopped pecans in a small circle on the pan or tin.

In a 3 quart heavy bottom saucepan combine the cream, butter, sugar, and water. Stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil and is smooth. Stop stirring and let boil until candy thermometer reaches 240 degrees or soft ball stage. Usually takes between 5-7 minutes. Let the mixture cook for at least 30 seconds but about 1-2 minutes to get a little thicker if you are doing this on a cooking sheet. Using a metal spoon drizzle carmel over nuts in a circle. Allow carmel to sit for 1 hour before adding melted chocolate

Put chocolate chips in a heat proof glass bowl and set over pan with barely simmering water. Stir occasionally until chocolate has melted and smooth. Spoon the chocolate over the top of the carmel leaving a little of the carmel and nuts to show through. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous idea for holiday gifts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love these. They look really great. :)

    ReplyDelete